Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons date sugar
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- aquafaba or 1 tbsp milled flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water
- sesame seeds
- poppy seeds
- garlic minced
- onion minced
- In a large bowl (I use a KitchenAid mixer), combine water, date sugar and yeast. Stir until yeast is dissolved.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Add flour and mix until a smooth dough has formed.
- Knead for 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes with a mixer with a dough hook.
- Cover with a towel and let sit in a warm spot until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down and divide into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a flat circle, no more than one inch thick.
- Place on a non-stick or parchment lined baking sheet and let rise for about 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If using topping(s), brush each bun with aquafaba or flax seed and water mixture.
- Sprinkle with desired topping(s).
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes.