Servings 1 loaf
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup date sugar
- 2 tbsp milled flax seed
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- Heat non-dairy milk until it is lukewarm. Whisk in date sugar and yeast and let sit 5-10, or until bubbly.
- Add remaining ingredients, adding more flour, if necessary, if dough is too sticky. Knead 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes by KitchenAid or other mixer with a dough hook.
- Cover and place in a warm location until doubled in size.
- Punch down and braid into desired shape.
- Place on a parchment lined baked sheet and let rise again for 30-60 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, or until golden brown.