The Best Guacamole
- 4 ripe avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 to mato or a handful of grape tomatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno or serrano seeded, deveined, and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut avocados in half, remove pit, and slice the flesh crosswise and lengthwise without cutting through the skin. Spoon out flesh and put in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. DO NOT mash the avocado! (Smooth guacamole is gross and you don't want anyone to think it came from a mix.) It will become less chunky as you blend in the other ingredients.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving (if it lasts that long).
How pick perfect avocados at the grocery store: Do not squeeze avocados! If you will be using your avocados the same day you purchase them, pick off the stem part of an avocado. If it is difficult to remove, it isn't ripe enough. If the crater left from the stem is brown, it is overripe. If the stem comes off fairly easily and the crater is yellow, the avocado is perfectly ripe.