October 7, 2016
Stroganoff (Vegan, Oil Free, and Gluten Free)
Categories : Main Dish
Tempeh Stroganoff (Vegan, Oil Free, and Gluten Free)
- 16 oz tempeh cut into 1/2 inch strips or 8 oz soy curls soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1 lb crimini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup brandy or dry white wine
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/4 dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 2 tbsp cornstarch for gluten free
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried parsley
- Brown tempeh or soy curls in a dry skillet over medium heat, then set aside.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and carrot to the skillet and saute over medium heat until onions are browned and there is no liquid from the mushrooms in the pan.
- Add tomato paste and mustard. Stir until the mixture caramelizes and coats the bottom of the pan.
- Add brandy or white wine to deglaze the pan and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and the browned tempeh. Cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup vegetable broth and flour or cornstarch.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and pour in the flour and broth mixture, stirring constantly. Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the non-dairy yogurt and parsley and heat through.
- Serve over whole wheat fusilli or steamed brown rice.