If you end up with extra filling and sauce, just mix them together. It makes a great lentil stew!
- 1 head cabbage I prefer savoy, but regular green or purple cabbage is fine too.
For the Filling:
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1/2 lb mushrooms chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika Sub regular paprika if you don't have any.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts optional
For the Sauce:
- 1 can tomato paste 6 oz
- 1 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, add all filling ingredients to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes, or until all liquid is gone. Let sit 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add whole head of cabbage to the pot of water and break off leaves from the core as they loosen and become soft.
- When the cabbage is done, discard the water from your pot and whisk together the tomato paste and wine. Heat over medium heat and slow whisk in the water. Lower heat to low and cover the pot.
- Fill each cabbage leaf with about 1/2 cup of the filling. Place the filling at the stem end and roll up like a burrito.
- Place the cabbage rolls in the tomato sauce in the large pot. Once all of the rolls are nestled in the tomato sauce, pour the diced tomatoes over the top.
- Cover and let simmer for 1/2 hour. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.