- 1 onion, diced
- 1 4 oz can diced hot or mild green chiles (or 3 roasted Hatch chiles)
- 6 + 1 cups vegetable broth
- 4 red potatoes, diced
- 3 + 1 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp white or black pepper
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water (optional)
Saute onion and bell pepper in a little water until soft. Add remaining ingredients, except 1 cup corn and 1 cup broth, bring to a boil, and then simmer until potatoes are soft.
Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 cup corn and 1 cup broth in a blender and puree until smooth.
Add mixture to soup and heat through until thickened.
Thicker and creamier option: Blend 1/2 cup raw cashews and 1 cup vegetable broth or water until completely smooth. Stir into soup and heat through until thickened.