October 23, 2018
Pizza Beans (Vegan, Oil Free, and Gluten Free)
Categories : Main Dish
Servings 4 servings
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced (I use cremini)
- 1 yellow squash diced (optional)
- 1 cup frozen or canned artichoke hearts roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 box or can approximately 26 ounces salt-free or low salt strained tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped kale or 1 pound frozen chopped kale
- 2 cups cooked Royal Corona also known as Gigante beans
- 1/2 cup black olives quartered
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews Presoak the cashews in the broth or water for 30 minutes, if you don't have a high speed blender.
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, squash and artichoke hearts (if desired), and garlic. Sauté until the onion is soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except cheese sauce ingredients, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until heated through and the kale has softened.
- Meanwhile, combine cheese sauce ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Transfer the bean and vegetable mixture to a large baking dish.
- Pour cheese sauce over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- I recommend sprinkling with a plant-based Parmesan cheese substitute (recipe linked in recipe notes) and pairing with some crusty whole grain bread.
Click here for parmesan substitute recipe.