Servings 4 servings
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced (I use cremini)
- 1 yellow squash diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 box or can approximately 26 ounces salt-free or low salt strained tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups cooked Royal Corona also known as Gigante beans
- 1/2 cup black olives halved
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning I use the Savory Spice Blend from the How Not to Die Cookbook
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery, mushrooms, squash (if desired), and garlic. Saute until the onion is soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until heated through and the kale has softened.
- I recommend sprinkling with a plant-based Parmesan cheese substitute (I make mine with equal parts ground up raw nuts and nutritional yeast) and pairing with some crusty whole grain bread.