February 1, 2013
Paella (Plant-Based, Vegan, Gluten Free, and Oil Free)
Categories : Main Dish
- 1 1/2 cups medium grain brown rice
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 generous pinch saffron threads
Suggested ingredients (include all or any combination you like)
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 roasted red pepper sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup black olives
- cup green olives
- 1 cup artichoke hearts quartered
- 1 cup cooked lima beans
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 ounces mushrooms quartered
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 diced tomato or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- Heat a paella pan or large (preferably cast iron) skillet over medium heat.
- Add rice and stir constantly until rice looks opaque and starts to smell (don’t let it burn!).
- Add white wine and let alcohol boil off.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients on top of the rice.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook 35-40 minutes or until rice is al dente, adding additional broth, if necessary.
- Cover and let sit 10 minutes, then serve.