September 5, 2013
Noodle Kugel (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Oil Free)
- 16 oz package whole wheat or GF noodles or pasta
- 2 cups raw cashews Soaked in water for 1/2 hour, then drained.
- 1 12 oz package silken tofu
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup date syrup or 1/4 cup sweetener of choice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt optional
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or additional cinnamon for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients, except raisins, in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cooked pasta and raisins in a large baking dish.
- Pour liquid mixture over the pasta and sprinkle with nutmeg or more cinnamon.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot or at room temperature.
1 apple, diced, is a nice addition. Reduce raisins to 1/2 cup, if desired.