- 1 onion diced
- 8 oz mushrooms quartered (I prefer cremini, but any will do.)
- 2 cups short grain brown rice It is better to soak in water overnight or a few hours beforehand, but not necessary.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine Optional, but it is way better with it.
- 2-4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup Parmesan substitute
- Saute onion and mushrooms in a large pan.
- Add the rice and stir for a minute or so, until the rice starts turning opaque and smells a little toasted.
- Add the white wine and the garlic.
- Let simmer for a minute, then add the broth and white pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer until most of the liquid is gone, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend water and cashews in a blender until completely smooth.
- Stir the cashew mixture into the rice, cover again, and let simmer until all the liquid is gone.
- Stir in the Parmesan substitute.
- Serve with additional Parmesan substitute to sprinkle on top, if desired.