- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 small to medium sweet potato diced
- 2 ounces soy curls
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 oz
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews Soak in water for at least 30 minutes, if you don't have a high speed blender.
- finely chopped cilantro for garnish optional
- raisins for garnish optional
- Place all ingredients, except water and cashews, in a pressure cooker or large pot on stove. Set on Manual for 5 minutes. Natural pressure release. Or simmer over medium low heat for about 30 minutes or until lentils and sweet potato are soft.
- Meanwhile, combine water a cashews in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into soup and heat through until thickened.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve over brown basmati or long grain rice.