Mardi Gras King Cake (Vegan and Oil Free)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup date sugar
- 1 cup non-dairy milk lukewarm
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon gluten
For the Filling:
- cashew cream cheese
- cinnamon date sugar
- fruit spread I prefer raspberry or blackberry
For the Glaze (optional):
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
For the Topping (optional):
- purple green, and gold colored sugars
- Combine water, non-dairy milk, sugar, and yeast in a large mixing bowl, until yeast has dissolved.
- Let sit 5-10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add remaining wet ingredients to yeast mixture and then stir in dry mixture, until well combined.
- Let sit 30-40 minutes.
- Knead dough for 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes with a mixer with a dough hook, until it is smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let sit in a warm spot until doubled in size (about 2 hours).
- Punch down dough.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough into a large rectangle with the wide end closest to you. The dough should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread your choice of fillings (I prefer to scatter use all three in rows), leaving an inch margin all the way around the edge. You can hide a dry bean or little baby in the cake before you roll it up. (Whoever finds it will have good luck in the coming year!)
- Starting with the edge closest to you, roll up the dough. pinch the seams closed tightly or your filling will ooze out. Curl your roll to form a ring (also good luck!) and pinch the ends together tightly as well.
- Carefully transfer your cake onto a parchment lined baking sheet and let sit.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the cake 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once the cake is completely cool, combine powdered sugar and non-dairy milk and drizzle over the cake.
- Sprinkle with colored sugars to decorate.