- 8 cups water
- 1 pound green or brown lentils
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 ounces) I like to use fire roasted.
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke or smoked paprika
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a pressure cooker or large pot on the stove.
- Set pressure cooker to 5 minutes, quick or natural release, or simmer on stove, covered, for 45 minutes, or until lentils are soft.