Kimchi (Vegan, Oil Free, and Gluten Free)
Servings 2 quarts
- 1 head napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup Korean chili powder
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup daikon radish grated
- 1 carrot grated
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- Cut the napa cabbage into quarters and soak in water to make sure it's clean.
- Drain thoroughly, cut off the core, cut into 1-2 inch slices, and place into a very large bowl.
- Add the chili powder and salt. I use this brand, found at most Asian markets.
- Using a potato masher or meat tenderizer, pound the cabbage until soft and liquid has formed at the bottom of the bowl. I like to do this while sitting on the floor watching TV.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to blend well.
- Stuff the kimchi mixture into 2 quart size jars, making sure most of the air gets pushed out and there is liquid at the top.
- Seal tightly with a lid.
- Let sit 3-4 days, occasionally opening the lids to release the pressure and to push the air pockets out. I use a plastic chopstick for this.
- Put in the refrigerator and let sit for at least 2 weeks before opening and consuming.