January 15, 2013
Irish Soda Bread (Whole Grain, Plant-Based, Vegan, and Oil Free)
Categories : Bread
Whole Grain Irish Soda Bread
- Dutch Oven
- 14 ounces soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour or additional whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup currants or raisins optional and not traditional
- Preheat a dutch oven with lid in the oven at 425 degrees F.
- Combine soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Combine flours and baking soda.
- Pour soy milk mixture into flour mixture.
- Using your hands, combine until just mixed together.
- Shape the dough into a disk, no more than 3 inches thick.
- Place in the dutch oven and score the top with a razor blade or sharp knife.
- Bake with the lid on for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.