I originally posted this recipe on my personal Facebook page four years ago and just ran across it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
I will post a picture the next time I make it.
Harvest Pumpkin Soup (Vegan, Oil Free, and Gluten Free)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 potato peeled and diced I prefer Yukon gold.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp dry sherry or white wine optional
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning or 1 tsp dried sage and 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 cups pureed pumpkin or 1 can
- 1 can light coconut milk or 1/2 cup raw cashews blended with 1 1/2 cups water until smooth
- sauteed mushrooms
- sauteed apples
- Saute leeks, potatoes, celery, and carrots in a little water until leeks begin to soften.
- Add broth, sherry or dry white wine (optional), and poultry seasoning.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender.
- Add canned pumpkin and heat through.
- Add coconut milk or cashew cream and adjust seasoning, as needed. Heat through and serve with optional toppings, if desired.
If you are not familiar with leeks, they can be very dirty. Cut off the dark green tops and then make two cuts lengthwise (not all the way through to the roots so it still holds together) so the stalk is divided into fourths. Soak the leek in cold water for several minutes and then swish it around in the water before removing to make sure all of the dirt has been removed. I like to serve this at dinner parties in hollowed out and roasted sugar baby pumpkins and roast the seeds for garnish.