Celebrate Purim with these tasty treats!
Hamantaschen (Vegan and Oil Free)
Servings 5 dozen
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup non-dairy yogurt or soy milk mixed with 2 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup liquid sweetener
- 1 tbsp milled flax seed
- Place almonds in a food processor and process until finely ground.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until well blended. Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl and knead a little to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick. With a 3" round cookie cutter or inverted glass, cut into rounds.
- Fill with 1 tsp of your favorite filling. I prefer raspberry jam, apricot jam, chocolate hazelnut, prune and poppy seed, and/or date nut.
- Fold edges of dough toward the center to form a triangle, leaving some of the filling visible, and pinch the seams together to seal.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool on a rack.