- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or chickpea flour for gluten free
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 lb okra cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 to matoes diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoon Creole spice blend
- 8 oz soy curls soaked or 1 lb diced tempeh
- cooked brown rice
- file powder
- hot sauce
- Add flour to a heavy frying pan (preferably cast iron).
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon or wire whisk, until it turns slightly brown and gives off a toasted smell.
- Set aside.
- In a large stock pot, cook chopped onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic, over medium heat until softened.
- Add half of the vegetable broth to the vegetable mixture.
- Add the rest to the toasted flour and whisk together until smooth.
- Pure the flour mixture into the vegetable mixture, whisking constantly, until thickened.
- Add the okra, tomatoes, soy curls or tempeh, bay leaves, and spice mix.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until okra is soft.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve over rice. Sprinkle with filé powder and hot sauce, if desired.