- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or chickpea flour for gluten free
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 lb okra cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups diced tomatoes fresh or canned (drained)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoon Creole spice blend See not below.
- 8 oz marinated soy curls, tempeh, or your favorite meaty bean See note below.
- cooked brown rice
- file powder
- hot sauce
- Add flour to a heavy frying pan (preferably cast iron).
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon or wire whisk, until it turns slightly brown and gives off a toasted smell.
- Set aside.
- In a large stock pot, cook chopped onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic, over medium heat until softened.
- Add half of the vegetable broth to the vegetable mixture.
- Add the rest to the toasted flour and whisk together until smooth.
- Pure the flour mixture into the vegetable mixture, whisking constantly, until thickened.
- Add the okra, tomatoes, soy curls or tempeh, bay leaves, and spice mix.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until okra is soft.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve over rice. Sprinkle with filé powder and hot sauce, if desired.
Click here for creole spice blend recipe. Recommended marinade for soy curls or tempeh:
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice