Etouffee (Vegan, Oil Free, and Gluten Free)
- 8 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 lb mushrooms quartered
- 1 can tomato paste 6 oz
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp creole seasoning
- 1 block extra firm tofu pressed and cubed
- 2 tbsp hot sauce or to taste
- 6 green onions sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- steamed brown rice lemon wedges, and hot sauce for serving
- In a large pot, add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, celery, and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, thyme, bay leaves, and creole seasoning and cook, stirring constantly, until thick and slightly darkened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth in 3 batches, stirring well after each addition. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to moderate and simmer until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu, nutritional yeast, hot sauce, and 3/4 of the scallions and cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve with steamed rice, passing lemon wedges and hot sauce at the table.