This is one of those finesse recipes where the ingredients are an inexact science. You have to go by taste and feel. Use your hands! Play around with it until the achieve the stuffing that tastes best to you. Unlike most of my recipes, this one does contain salt. You can play around with salt-free options, but I haven’t been able to get the right taste without it. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Cornbread Dressing / Stuffing
- 1 batch cornbread Recipe here. Omit sweetener.
- 6 cups bread torn into small pieces I use day old homemade 100% whole wheat.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast optional
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1-2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bake the bread (if not using store -bought) and cornbread two days ahead.
- The day before you want to make the stuffing, crumble the cornbread and mix with the bread chunks in a large bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel, so it can dry out a little.
- Combine broth, onions, celery, nutritional yeast, sage, mustard powder, and black pepper in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove broth mixture from heat.
- Remove broth mixture from heat and stir into bread mixture, until very moist, but not soggy. Add salt and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spoon into a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through.