- 1 batch Southern Cornbread
- 1/2 2 lb loaf whole wheat bread torn into small chunks
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine broth, onions, celery, and spices in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble cornbread and mix with bread chunks in a large bowl.
- Remove broth mixture from heat.
- Stir broth mixture into bread mixture, until moist. It should not be soggy. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spoon into a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through.