- 12 medium red potatoes (peeled, if not organic)
- 2 large leeks (light green and white parts only), sliced
- 1/2 savoy cabbage, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, chopped (I prefer lacinato, but curly kale is just fine.)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
Steam potatoes until tender.
Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan, simmer leeks and cabbage in broth until cabbage is tender. Add kale and continue to simmer until wilted.
Combine cashews and water in a blend and process until smooth.
Mash potatoes with some of the broth from the cabbage mixture, cashew cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mash until smooth. Add cabbage mixture and the rest of the broth and stir until combined. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Note: Colcannon isn’t just mashed potatoes with vegetables in it. It should be smooth and creamy, almost soup-like.