Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 cup date sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp milled flax seed
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two 9" round cake pans with parchment paper or muffin pans with 24 baking cups.
- Whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Whisk together wet ingredients.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and whisk until combined. Add water if too thick.
- Pour batter into cake pans.
- Bake 30 minutes for cake or 20 minutes for cupcakes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.