September 24, 2013
Chiles Rellenos (Vegan, Gluten Free, and Oil Free)
Categories : Main Dish
- 4 poblano chiles
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
For the Batter:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour or GF flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For Garnish (Optional):
- cashew sour cream
- diced avocado
- diced onion
- Place the poblano chiles over high heat directly on the stove. Turn occasionally.
- When they are completely charred, place them in a paper sack. Close the sack and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling and batter.
- To make the filling, place the filling ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth (2-5 minutes). Then, heat in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Set aside.
- To make the batter, combine all batter ingredients in a bowl and fold until just blended. (It should be like pancake batter. Too thin will run off and too thick will be doughy. Adjust water accordingly.) Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take the poblano chiles out of the bag, rub the charred skin off, cut off the tops and remove the seeds and veins.
- Fill each poblano with some of the filling and then dip in the batter, turning to completely coat.
- Place on the lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with optional garnishes, if desired.