Cherry Lime Cupcakes (Vegan and Oil Free)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup date sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups fresh or frozen and thawed pitted cherries
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- juice and zest of 2 limes 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with paper baking cups.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place cherries in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine lime juice and zest, applesauce, and chopped cherries (and any released juice).
- Fold wet mixture into dry mixture. Add some water if the batter is too thick.
- Pour batter into baking cups and bake 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.