Categories : Appetizer
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups non-dairy milk, water, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon kirsch, brandy, or cognac
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg optional
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper optional
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Combine all ingredients, except wine, in a high speed blender and process until smooth. If you don't have a high speed blender, soak the cashews in the water for at least half an hour first, then add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Heat wine in a medium sauce pan over medium heat, until boiling.
- Add cashew cheese mixture and whisk constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Transfer to a fondue pot, if desired.
- Serve with crusty bread, pretzels, raw vegetables, apple slices, etc.