April 8, 2020
Chakalaka is a South African staple, usually served with "pap," which is similar to Southern grits.
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 chilies (serrano, Thai, etc.), chopped optional
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup date sugar
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 2 cups cooked white beans or 1 can British style baked beans
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onion, bell peppers, and chilies (if desired), until onions are soft.
- Add garlic, ginger, and spices.
- Saute and additional minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, except beans.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until cabbage softens.
- Add the beans and heat through.
- Serve hot or room temperature.