Carrot Cake (Vegan and Oil Free)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup raisins divided
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup carrots grated (about 3 medium carrots)
- 3/4 cups chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine water, 3/4 cup of the raisins, applesauce, vinegar, and orange zest in a blender and process until smooth.
- Add carrots and ginger and pulse until just combined.
- Fold wet mixture into dry mixture, until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in remaining raisins and walnuts, if desired.
- Pour batter into parchment lined baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.