July 17, 2017
British Style Beans (Vegan, Oil Free, Gluten Free)
Categories : Side Dish
British Style Beans
- 1 pound dry navy beans soaked overnight
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup date sugar or 2 tbsp other sugar of choice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- Combine all ingredients in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker, except Worchestershire sauce, vinegar, and tomato paste.
- Cook on manual setting for 15 minutes, NPR.
- Alternatively, add 2 more cups of vegetable broth or water and cook in a large pot over low heat on the stove for several hours.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Whisk together Worchestershire sauce, vinegar, and tomato paste in a small bowl, then stir into bean mixture.
- Serve on toast, if desired.