May 7, 2013
Beer Cheese Soup (Vegan and Oil Free)
Categories : Soup
Beer Cheese Soup
Servings 6 -8
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bottle vegan beer I use Shiner Bock
- 2 cups cubed stale whole grain bread or diced potatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 batch vegan cheese sauce
- Put all ingredients, except cheese sauce, in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for half an hour, or until carrots and celery (and potatoes, if using) are soft.
- Remove bay leaves and puree soup with an immersion blender or with a regular blender, in batches.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the soup, whisking constantly.
- Bring back to a simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and let sit a few minutes before serving. It will be very hot!