This is not a sweet cake! It is a snack cake. If you want it sweeter, replace half of the molasses with another liquid sweetener.
Gingerbread option: increase powdered ginger to 2 teaspoons.
Applesauce Cake (Vegan and Oil Free)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1/3 cup date syrup
- 1/4 cup water If batter seems too thick.
- 1 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix until well blended.
- Pour batter into lined baking dish and bake 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.