Apple Spice Cake (Vegan and Oil Free)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup date sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp milled flax seed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 apple diced (and peeled, if not organic)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine wet ingredients and milled flax seed. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet mixture and stir until combined.
- Fold in apples and walnuts, if desired.
- Pour batter into a parchment lined 9x9 baking dish or a 12-cupcake pan with paper baking cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes for cake or 20 minutes for cupcakes.
- Let cool before serving.